Friday, January 6, 2012

the gift of time

Over the past few months, I have NOT been using my bike (scooter, whatever) to travel in and around Navi Mumbai and the reasons may or may not include the fact(s) that it is too chilly in the morning (and I almost freeze) too sunny in the afternoon (which leads to tan) and too dusty any (actually, every) other time of the day  (which ruins my face even with the helmet.) So I decided to chuck it and take the bus, train or auto whenever I need to go somewhere that's simply too far away to just walk.

While I have been travelling, I realised that even though these modes of transport take more of my time than before, I have actually gained time. For one, I used to leave my house just fifteen minutes before class when I had my vehicle because that's exactly how long it took for me to reach there, where as now, I have to leave at least half an hour in advance if I plan on taking the train or an entire HOUR, if I want to go by bus.

Ordinarily, I would have considered that a gross waste of my time, but I realised that I can get a lot of reading (and now that I have the blogger app on my phone, even blogging) done while on the go. I would have never been able to do that if I was on a scooter and also be the one driving it. Not only would that be boring, it would also look silly, and oh yes, how can I forget DANGEROUS!

So even though travelling by train or bus means waking up early, getting dressed quicker and leaving my house a lot earlier than I am used to, I kinda like it. :)

Which brings be to the very reason I bought the scooter - "To save time on travelling!!!!"

Ironic, huh?

P.S. I am currently reading John Grisham's 'The Confession' and I am hooked just as I was hooked to the last book I was reading, 'God Save the Dork' by Sidin Vadukut. And I've got to tell you, that I don't mind spending more time in the bus just so I could read a few more pages. But I've given up sleep in the past just to be able to finish a book, so this kinda does make sense! :P

- Nikita.